[yocto] kernel-devsrc used to be full source - not the case since thud

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:48:50 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:

> On 23/05/2019 15.32, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This might have been discussed before. I couldn't find a relevant
>> thread, but if it is so, just link me to it.
>>
>> Since thud, more specific since
>>
>> commit 9af0f1a46bbb6ad9ee8b35957251f4aa826b023f
>> Author: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>
>> Date:   Sat Aug 18 22:50:44 2018 -0400
>>     kernel-devsrc: restructure for out of tree (and on target) module
>> builds
>>
>> ... we switched from a recipe that was deploying the entire source code
>> to one that provides mainly the kernel headers (but not only). This
>> change broke people expectations of this recipe while the description is
>> also confusing: "Development source linux kernel. When built, this
>> recipe packages the \source of the preferred virtual/kernel provider and
>> makes it available for full kernel \development or external module
>> builds".
>>
>> If size is not a problem (which can be the case when you compile on a
>> builder for example and deploy only a OOT kernel module through other
>> means), the full kernel source was a painless experience where things like
>>
>> commit a9471601fedd1f5087304eaa5fd39b98ae220313
>> Author: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>
>> Date:   Thu Aug 30 09:45:41 2018 -0400
>>     kernel-devsrc: fix arm/arm64 target module build
>>
>> ... would not appear. I understand the size impact on target and for
>> those cases, continuously maintaining this recipe with new
>> files/resources needed from the kernel, makes sense. So my proposal is
>> to have two recipes, for example kernel-devsrc and kernel-fullsrc
>> (kernel-src etc.) so people can choose what they need/want
>> deploying/using. Or even have another devsrc provider. I'm open to any
>> implementation detail. I'd just want to have an option for a full kernel
>> source recipe.
>>

> This is already planned, and hidden in bugzilla somewhere. I'll have some
> new kernel packaging
> options available for the fall release.
>
> Nice to hear that. Can you share more details on that because we plan to
> implement it for BalenaOS and would be a waste to redo what you already
> have or do it in different ways and reset afterwards.

The best place for that is in the bugzilla, I (re)created bug 13360 and
will start moving the details into that (they are scattered around).

Can you elaborate on the use case that is broken with devsrc ? I'd also
like to make changes to that package to support more common workflows if
we've missed them. Feel free to add them to the bug, that way I won't lose
track of them again.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end