[yocto] kernel-devsrc used to be full source - not the case since thud

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:39:39 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:32 AM Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This might have been discussed before. I couldn't find a relevant
>> thread, but if it is so, just link me to it.
>>
>> Since thud, more specific since
>>
>> commit 9af0f1a46bbb6ad9ee8b35957251f4aa826b023f
>> Author: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>
>> Date:   Sat Aug 18 22:50:44 2018 -0400
>>     kernel-devsrc: restructure for out of tree (and on target) module
>> builds
>>
>> ... we switched from a recipe that was deploying the entire source code
>> to one that provides mainly the kernel headers (but not only). This
>> change broke people expectations of this recipe while the description is
>> also confusing: "Development source linux kernel. When built, this
>> recipe packages the \source of the preferred virtual/kernel provider and
>> makes it available for full kernel \development or external module
>> builds".
>>
>> If size is not a problem (which can be the case when you compile on a
>> builder for example and deploy only a OOT kernel module through other
>> means), the full kernel source was a painless experience where things like
>>
>> commit a9471601fedd1f5087304eaa5fd39b98ae220313
>> Author: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>
>> Date:   Thu Aug 30 09:45:41 2018 -0400
>>     kernel-devsrc: fix arm/arm64 target module build
>>
>> ... would not appear. I understand the size impact on target and for
>> those cases, continuously maintaining this recipe with new
>> files/resources needed from the kernel, makes sense. So my proposal is
>> to have two recipes, for example kernel-devsrc and kernel-fullsrc
>> (kernel-src etc.) so people can choose what they need/want
>> deploying/using. Or even have another devsrc provider. I'm open to any
>> implementation detail. I'd just want to have an option for a full kernel
>> source recipe.
>>

> This is already planned, and hidden in bugzilla somewhere. I'll have some
> new kernel packaging
> options available for the fall release.

It looks like the bugs that I was using for development were finally moved
to resolved (they were a bit old, and contained collected information on
various kernel packaging options .. my searching of bugzilla isn't turning
it up at the moment). So I just created a new bug to track the development
for 2.8.

The issue with the multiple kernel source providers is really about test
cycles. The smaller devsrc is for on-target module development and builds
against the exported uapi headers, and that is what the nightly / automated
tests will use. We had issues with both the amount of time it took to
package the entire source, and the amount of space that it took up on the
images. Hence the creation of devsrc.

With new kernel-source and kernel-headers packages (the working names),
they are really provided as references to the running kernel, and will
largely be an exercise left up to the developer to use them as they want.

Cheers,

Bruce