[yocto] PN is uppercase

Ralf Spiwoks spiwoks at cern.ch
Tue May 21 00:50:44 PDT 2019

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your email. I am realising that I have not replied to your
email earlier. Sorry. I guess it was partly because your answer put
me slightly off. On the one hand, I thought that as a general approach,
Linux was case sensitive, unlike its big rival Windows, and I was not
aware  of package managers which would explicitly forbid uppercase
package names. I find the approach of allowing only lowercase package
names quite limiting, and frankly a drawback for using Yocto

On the other hand I have a few tens of packages to maintain, which
have uppercase letters in the package names and which did work with
Yocto in previous versions. So, because of a new convention we would
have to rework some of the packages or ignore the warning messages.
And until we find the effort for reworking those package recipes we
will stay with the latter option.

Thanks for your patience and your explanations. Cheers,

Ralf.