[yocto] Debugging dev-deps

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon May 13 10:55:33 PDT 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019 at 09:54, Matthias Schoepfer
<matthias.schoepfer at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to write a recipe for a rather tricky component (that has
> plugins and stuff). Anyhow, I cannot get bitbake not to complain that
> <PACKAGENAME> rdepends on <PACKAGENAME>-dev. And if I INSANE_SKIP it,
> the -dev package will get installed. But I cannot figure out which file
> is responsible. I tried to ldd all installed files in <PACKAGENAME>, but
> could not get any results. Any hints on how to debug this further?!

The problem is probably that the plugins are being shipped as
/usr/lib/libpluginfoo.so, and so have the same names as development
library symlinks which get packaged into PN-dev automatically.
Alternatively unversioned libraries will also have the same issue.

Look at what files go into what package (using oe-pkgdata-util), and
ensure that PN-dev only contains headers and the link-time symlinks.
For example libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.1, libfoo.so should be in PN-dev
and libfoo.so.1 should be in PN.

Ross