[yocto] [Yocto-bsp] Error of " fs.inotify.max_user_watches " while using bitbake [ Yocto-2.6.1 + Qemux86]

Renato Caldas ml at calgera.com
Mon May 13 06:25:02 PDT 2019

On 13/05/19 11:41, AshishKumar Mishra wrote:
> Yes , i checked the value & increased it 64K ( got pointer from
> https://hub.docker.com/r/wolverine2k/yocto-build-env/)
>
> It got the same error again today .
> Currently i have increased the value from 64K to 512K.
> But raised the query to check if i am doing any thing wrong here or
> missing any caution.
>
> Like if at 512K if we get the error again , not sure if increasing the
> value is the only value.
>
> Thanks
> Ashish

Please don't top post (see mailing list guidelines).

> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 3:47 PM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
> <mailto:richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 15:38 +0530, AshishKumar Mishra wrote:
>      > Can team members please let me know the solution & what is causing
>      > the below mentioned error ?
>      > ( I am having around 128GB of disk space still left , hence don't
>      > think that space is the issue here )
>      >
>      > ~/Documents/linux-foundation-projects/yocto/poky/build (slef-bsp)
>     : bitbake -vn virtual/kernel
>      > ERROR: No space left on device or exceeds
>     fs.inotify.max_user_watches?
>      > ERROR: To check max_user_watches: sysctl -n
>     fs.inotify.max_user_watches.
>      > ERROR: To modify max_user_watches: sysctl -n -w
>     fs.inotify.max_user_watches=<value>.
>      > ERROR: Root privilege is required to modify max_user_watches.
>      > ERROR: Command execution failed: Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>     Did you try what it says above and check the max_user_watches value?
>
>     Also, did you check you had enough free inodes on the filesystem?

Richard gave you the answer, you're probably running out of inodes. See
it for yourself:

$ df --inodes

How to fix it depends on your filesystem (google is your friend), but
the cause is usually a lot of small files. Happens to me a lot.

Cheers,
   Renato

--
Renato Caldas