[yocto] File synchronization on ubifs/xfs

Sebastian Brand sebastian.brand at axis.com
Mon May 13 06:07:24 PDT 2019

> An application like "sed" does a rename after write, but that's totally
> unrelated to your issue. Sed does that because it cannot write to the file
> it's also reading from.

It might be the reason behind the rename, but you can also argue that
it is expected that a program that edits a file either leaves it as it was
or changed, but not empty, if the system crashes. (But you can also argue that
a power fail is undefined behavior.)

> If someone were to patch sed to insert an "fsync"
> before the rename, people would get very very angry at that person for making
> their build servers horrendously slow and draining their laptop batteries or
> something to that effect.

On ext3 (with mode data=ordered) it would indeed make the systems horrendously
slow. But on other file systems the impact should be much more reasonable.

> In the sed case, the proper thing to do is to direct sed's output to another
> file and then take care of syncing and renaming yourself.

That would be the preferable solution. If sed was not already heavily used to
update configuration files, and if many developers didn't "know" that sed -i
can be used for power-fail safe file updates.

The reason why I though that it might be interesting for other people using
Yocto is that this is a problem for many file systems that are used in
embedded systems. And it becomes a problem as soon as there is someone
that thinks that "sed -i" is safe on their system, since it is safe on ext4.
And for me it was more reasonable to implement a busybox feature than the
alternative solutions.

Cheers,
Sebastian