[yocto] long time for starting sshd (wait for crng init done ?)

star at gmx.li star at gmx.li
Mon May 13 05:21:16 PDT 2019

> Gesendet: Montag, 13. Mai 2019 um 13:45 Uhr
> Von: Mikko.Rapeli at bmw.de
> An: star at gmx.li
> Cc: yocto at yoctoproject.org
> Betreff: Re: [yocto] long time for starting sshd (wait for crng init done ?)
>
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 01:07:45PM +0200, star at gmx.li wrote:
> > >From yocto 2.5 to 2.7 I noticed a change in booting. The kernel stops for around 85 seconds.
> > It seems to me that starting sshd takes time until crng init is done.
> > In 2.5 it doesn't wait for that. How can I avoid that?
> > Maybe I have to add that I use a recipe that adds keys as rootfs is usually r/o.
>
> Depends on your HW platform, kernel version etc, but one possible solution
> is installing rng-tools binary package which starts rngd at boot.
>
> See http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2019-May/282021.html
>
> -Mikko

With that in fact to boot time decreases. It stop for a 10..20s after "failed to init entropy", but this is far less than w/o it.
Nevertheless, I didn't have stops at all in 2.5, as cnrg init finished only after booting (login message) and boot time is important.

run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/nfsroot: exit status 1
Starting random number generator daemon
Initalizing available sources

Failed to init entropy source hwrng

Enabling JITTER rng support

Initalizing entropy source jitter

.
random: crng init done
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd