[yocto] [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto Project Upcoming Conferences and Developer Days

Behan Webster behanw at converseincode.com
Tue May 7 11:18:50 PDT 2019

> On May 7, 2019, at 2:47 AM, Bas Mevissen <abuse at basmevissen.nl> wrote:
>
> On 2019-05-07 07:20, Behan Webster wrote:
>
>> > On May 6, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Bas Mevissen <bas at emcodev.nl> wrote:
>> > On 5/6/19 12:45 PM, Josef Holzmayr wrote:
>> > I'd actually word it a little bit differently:
>> > If there is only *ONE* attendee who did not properly do the homework, it
>> > will have a massive impact an the rest of the group. And that somebody
>> > will show up unpreparedly is absolutely certain in my opinion.
>> > With sufficient trainers, one can continue for most and provide some assistance to the one falling behind.
>
>> Usually more than one. And this is generally very disruptive to the class as a whole.

>> > I agree. That is how I started, next to a compressed Linux Foundation Yocto training that was offered just before the event then.
>
>> Yes. By me and my colleagues who train for the Linux Foundation.
>
>> > So it might be wise to ask LF or get something organised. It would mostly require a room and a sponsor for some small devkit.
>
>> We've run the beginner track for the last few years. The discussion is precisely that the YP event is proposing to not run the beginner track this year at all.
>
> But why? There appears to be a constant demand.

An excellent question. I agree with you. I don’t have an answer however. Not my decision.

>> We're happy to do it again if given the space.
>
> Yes, both for LF and YP it are off-the-shelf trainings that do not require much preperation.

Speaking as a course maintainer for LF, keeping the YP course updated is actually a tremendous amount of work (I’m the co-maintainer for the LF YP course).

However, the beginner slides tend not to need more than a few hours of updates every 6 months (which again is something I do).

Either may appear off-the-shelf, but they aren’t from my perspective. ;)

Thanks,

Behan