[yocto] Defining group of machines

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri May 3 09:53:05 PDT 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019, Westermann, Oliver wrote:

> We’ve a product group with different devices, each having their
> machine-conf, eg
>
> Device_a
>
> Device_a_mini
>
> Device_b
>
> Device_b_mini <- Upcoming
>
> Device_c <- Upcoming
>
> Since device_a and device_a_mini share a lot of code, for them we
> use one of the machine overrides, describing the processor family,
> so I use RDEPENDS_${PN}_append_device_a if I just need it for
> device_a and RDEPENDS_${PN}_append_am57x for device_a and
> device_a_mini.
>
> Now I’m in the situation that device_c will use the same CPU as
> device b, so I need something like a “group” of devices for family
> b.
>
> How can I define a MACHINE_GROUP_device_b_group = “device_b
> device_b_mini” so I can do
>
> RDEPENDS_${PN}_append_device_b_group or
> do_install_append_device_b_group()?

  i know i did this once upon a time using the MACHINEOVERRIDES
variable to "insert" a machine family into the sequence of machine
definitions. as long as there is (i believe) a strictly hierarchical
grouping of machines you want to define, i'm pretty sure
MACHINEOVERRIDES is what you want.

  let me see if i can find where i did that once.

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca