[yocto] ASSUME_PROVIDED, cmake-native and why cmake is subsequently not found?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu May 2 08:50:57 PDT 2019

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 08:05 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... snip ...

> >   ASSUME_PROVIDED += "cmake-native"
>
> This is a bad idea as we patch cmake iirc.

... snip ...

> You would also have to do:
>
> HOSTTOOLS += "cmake"
>
> to allow cmake to be visible from the host system. Its a host
> contamination protection mechanisn that has been there since pyro.

  just to summarize, if one wanted to (perhaps injudiciously) take
advantage of host tools, that requires:

1) ASSUME_PROVIDED to specify the native package that no longer needs
   to be built, and

2) HOSTTOOLS to identify the binary (or binaries) that can be picked
   up from the host

  i can see an obvious example here:

https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/140375/

but if this is the case, then it seems that the YP reference manual
should be clarified to explain the association between these
variables. for example, the current ref manual reads:

  ASSUME_PROVIDED

  Lists recipe names (PN values) BitBake does not attempt to build.
  Instead, BitBake assumes these recipes have already been built.

  In OpenEmbedded-Core, ASSUME_PROVIDED mostly specifies native
  tools that should not be built. An example is git-native, which when
  specified, allows for the Git binary from the host to be used rather
  than building git-native.

reading that, a reader would not realize the necessity(?) of setting
HOSTTOOLS, yes?

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca