[yocto] [OE-core] Information about non-traditional uses of the Yocto Project and OpenEmbedded

Angus Lees guslees at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 21:36:53 PDT 2019

I use yocto to build an immutable disk image for several architectures of
Kubernetes servers (currently armv7, aarch64, x86-64).  It's basically a
CoreOS Container Linux clone, except smaller and more portable.  I like
yocto/OE's powerful cross-compilation, minimalism, read-only rootfs, A/B
image upgrades (I'm using rauc), etc.
https://gitlab.com/containos/containos

Previously I've used yocto/openembedded to build:
- minimal x86-64 docker images, and pre-built package repository (
https://github.com/anguslees/boxfactory - no longer maintained now that
alpine is a thing).
- an early Android C/C++ sdk development environment (ie: nativesdk) -
before the official "Android NDK" became useful.  I added support for
`repo` tool, bionic, etc - I was even doing canadian-cross to build the SDK
on Linux/glibc, to run on win32/mingw, and compile for armv7/bionic :P
Unfortunately this got killed by politics and never saw the light of day,
but it was used to build the early releases of the "ScummVM" Android app
(possibly the first native app on the Android marketplace).

Indeed, I don't think I've ever used it for an actual embedded platform :P

 - Gus

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 07:01, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:

> During the last OpenEmbedded developer meeting, it became clear that
> people are using the Yocto project/OpenEmbedded in spaces outside what
> we think of as traditional embedded. Lieu Ta is working on a
> presentation for the Linux Foundation Leadership Summit and we would
> like to collect as many "unusual" applications are possible from
> companies we can publicly acknowledge. Unusual is edge, containers,
> desktop, etc. Or even really interesting embedded applications :)
>
> Please drop me an email (off list is fine) with enough info for us to
> add you to a slide and acknowledge your work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Philip

 - Gus