[yocto] packaging documentation

Scott Rifenbark srifenbark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 08:42:28 PDT 2019

Hi Steve,

Have you found the YP Overview and Concepts Manual?  There is a fairly
large section here -
https://yoctoproject.org/docs/2.6.1/overview-manual/overview-manual.html#openembedded-build-system-build-concepts
that covers build concepts in some detail.  This might help you.

Another idea for finding topics in the YP manual set is to use the YP
Mega-Manual (
https://yoctoproject.org/docs/current/mega-manual/mega-manual.html), which
is a compilation of the set of YP manuals.  You can search the entire set
for terms (e.g. "packag").  It occurs a lot in the set but it is a way to
find all the occurrences.

If you still cannot find satisfactory explanation on how packages are
generated, we can file a bug against the docs and get a good explanation in
there.

Hope this helps,
Scott