[yocto] Why does enabling initramfs pull eudev into my build?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 06:34:19 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did that get your attention? :-)
>
> I am trying to understand why eudev gets pulled into my build, where
> it wasn't part of it before.  I recently added an initramfs to my
> build...
What I neglected to say was that a colleague of mine had recently
added crda to our build as well, and that recipe has an explicit
RDEPENDS on "udev".

I did spend an interesting day learning about the difference between
recipes that RDEPEND on providers and individual packages that RDEPEND
on providers.  I was confused by the fact that the
initramfs-framework_1.0.bb recipe contains:

SUMMARY_initramfs-module-udev = "initramfs support for udev"
RDEPENDS_initramfs-module-udev = "${PN}-base udev"
FILES_initramfs-module-udev = "/init.d/01-udev"

and, since I didn't depend/rdepend on initramfs-module-udev anywhere
in my build, why that resulted in udev being included in my build.

The answer is... it doesn't.  crda caused it to be included in my build.

Thanks for listening.

--wpd