[yocto] Create an image from deployed files

Stefan Herbrechtsmeier stefan at herbrechtsmeier.net
Mon Jul 22 12:39:27 PDT 2019

Am 22.07.19 um 18:34 schrieb Khem Raj:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:43 PM Stefan Herbrechtsmeier
> <stefan at herbrechtsmeier.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what would be the best solution to create an image from deployed files?
>>
>> The wic bootimg-partition plugin copy over files listed in
>> IMAGE_BOOT_FILES and create a partition inside the wic image. The
>> image.bbclass creates an image from individual packages.
>>
>> I want to create an image like the image.bbclass but from deployed files
>> like the wic bootimg-partition plugin.
>>
>> I have add an image_types_vfat.bbclass to create vfat images, move the
>> common parts from image.bbclass into image-common.bbclass and add a
>> boot-image.bbclass. This class duplicates some code from the wic
>> bootimg-partition plugin inside the do_rootfs function and add some
>> dummy tasks to minimize the changes in the common code.
>>
>> I wonder if this is the right direction or if another solution exists.
>>

> I would think you can add a wic kickstart image to generate your desired image

How should this work? I need an image of a single partition without MBR
or GPT. Furthermore I have multiple independent images with different sizes.

Meanwhile I have a working solution with a bare-image bbclass which
installs a list of images from the deploy directory into the image
rootfs. This images could be used by other wic and swupdate images.
Thereby the bare-image bbclass supports all image types plus vfat and
with two additional patches the wic rawcopy plugin supports on the fly
unpack of packed images.

Best regards
   Stefan