[yocto] [OE-core] RFC: dropping official support for Debian 8 / Opensuse 42.3

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Thu Jul 18 05:43:42 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:43:50PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 12:31 +0100, Burton, Ross wrote:
> > > CentOS 7 is based on Fedora 19 from 2013.
> > >
> > > This is the oldest currently supported distribution, and when to
> > > remove
> > > support for it (replacing it with the not yet existing CentOS 8)
> > > should
> > > IMHO be part of this discussion.
> >
> > Centos 7 support is, I believe, already patchy - I think we mandate
> > the buildtools for that?  Any idea what the support plan for Centos 7
> > will be once 8 is released, whenever that is?
>
> There is some kind of official feed to add python 3.6 to it which we
> use.

Python is only a small part of the picture.

What I would be interested in would be to get rid of the
ever-growing number of hacks and patches for supporting
the ancient gcc 4.8 in CentOS 7.

With support for Debian 8 removed, CentOS 7 will be two gcc major
versions behind all other supported host distributions.

Remember the nettle problems immediately before Yocto 2.7 was released,
the root cause was a (bogus) workaround for supporting hosts with gcc < 5.

> Cheers,
>
> Richard

cu
Adrian