[yocto] Patching a file in $WORKDIR

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Jul 17 03:01:16 PDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 17:45, Siegel, Jeffrey (Nokia - US/Murray Hill)
<jeffrey.siegel at nokia.com> wrote:
> I am trying to use a bbappend file to patch a file in $WORKDIR. To my understanding, the native Yocto patching process only works for patching files in $S.

No, the default directory for patch application is $S (for obvious
reasons).  You can change the path that is patched by using the
`patchdir` parameter:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-SRC_URI

Also as Gabriele said, only .patch and .diff files are applied
automatically.  Best to rename to inputrc.patch.

> Using devshell, I have confirmed that the “patch” program being executed is the one from the Yocto environment ($BUILDDIR/tmp-glibc/hosttools), not the build host.

Have a look at what hosttools/patch actually is: you'll see it's just
a symlink to /usr/bin/patch.

Ross