[yocto] Can't boot to initramfs

JH jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 05:53:35 PDT 2019

Hi Moritz,

On 7/12/19, Moritz Porst <moritz.porst at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hey
>
> On 12.07.19 10:05, JH wrote:
>>> BOOT_IMAGE=/bzImage root=PARTUUID=71d1d94a-83e8-4895-98eb-35309f58119f
>> break=premount quiet rootwait rootwait rootfstype=ext4
>> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
>>
>> Which file did you add kernel boot command for bootargs, bootcmd, etc?
>>
>> I use meta-freescale, but I could not find BOOT_IMAGE is defined.
> Ways I know to add boot arguments:
> If you use .wic image via --append in the .wks file

Right, I use .wic image.

> Otherwise in your machine config via the variable "APPEND", e.g. APPEND
> += "quiet shell"

OK, I added APPEND += "quiet shell" to my machine config file solar.conf.

> the "BOOT_IMAGE" is not a yocto variable, it is the bootloader syntax.
> Thus this depends on which bootloader you use, but yocto abstracts this.
> However for all bootloaders I know before boot you can hit "e" to edit
> the boot line manually.

I use u-boot, I am currently running zImage-initramfs built from
OpenWrt defined kernel boot arguement bootargs, bootcmd, console, etc.
Although I can edit the u-boot kernel arguments during bootload
running on imx6 ram, I really want to configure those arguments in
Yocto to build a Yoctor zImage-initramfs.

I guess there must be some ways to configure it for zImage-initramfs,
but the meta-freescale/wic/imx-uboot-bootpart.wks and other wks files
are all used for creating SD card image which I guess that cannot be
used to build an initramfs image for running on RAM, but correct me I
could be wrong.

Here are kernel arguments when I run zImage-initramfs on imx6 ram:
printenv
baudrate=115200
board_name=ULZ-EVK
board_rev=14X14
bootargs=console=ttymxc0,115200 earlycon init=/init ......

>>> But I still have troubles to add INITRAMFS_IMAGE =
>>> "core-image-minimal-initramfs" or to run core-image-minimal-initramfs,
>>> both had errors:
>>>
>>> $ MACHINE="solar" DISTRO="solar" bitbake core-image-minimal-initramfs
>>>
>>> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-minimal-initramfs'
>>> core-image-minimal-initramfs was skipped: incompatible with host
>>> arm-oe-linux-gnueabi (not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)
> in meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb there is the
> following line:
> COMPATIBLE_HOST = "(i.86|x86_64).*-linux"
> You could try to overwrite it in your .bbappend to the value "*-linux"
> but I guess there is a reason for this line.

Is the following core-image-minimal-initramfs.bbappend correct? I
still got errors to build core-image-minimal-initramfs, I must
misplace things here:

$ cat core-image-minimal-initramfs.bbappend
PACKAGE_INSTALL += "\
busybox \
base-files \
base-passwd \
bash \
util-linux-lsblk \
vim \
"

COMPATIBLE_HOST = "(arm|arm-oe-linux-gnueabi).*-linux"

$ MACHINE="solar" DISTRO="solar" bitbake core-image-minimal-initramfs
ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'initramfs-module-install'
initramfs-module-install was skipped: incompatible with host
arm-oe-linux-gnueabi (not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)

Thank you very much.

- jupiter

>>> $ MACHINE="solar" DISTRO="solar" bitbake solar-image
>>>
>>> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-minimal-initramfs'
>>> core-image-minimal-initramfs was skipped: incompatible with host
>>> arm-oe-linux-gnueabi (not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)
>>> ERROR: Required build target 'solar-image' has no buildable providers.
>>> Missing or unbuildable dependency chain was: ['solar-image',
>>> 'virtual/kernel', 'core-image-minimal-initramfs']
>>>
>>> Sorry, still learning Yocto, what I could be missing?

>>> break=premount quiet rootwait rootwait rootfstype=ext4
>>> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
>>>
>>> Which did you add kernel boot command for bootargs, bootcmd, etc as
>>> above? I could not find BOOT_IMAGE (I use meta-freescale)
>>>
>>> Thank you very much.
>>>
>>> - jupiter

baudrate=115200
board_name=ULZ-EVK
board_rev=14X14>                          base-files \