[yocto] Can't boot to initramfs

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 00:24:06 PDT 2019

Hello Moritz,

I need here some help from you. I'll try to reconstruct the parts of
the local.conf you are using, so I (and Jupiter) can understand what
should we do to also bundle kernel image with initramfs, to end up in
Dracut/rescue shell.

Here is what I anticipate after reading several YOCTO @ threads:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_append = " cpio.gz"
INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "core-image-minimal-initramfs"
INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"
# debug: adds debug boot parameters like 'shell' and 'debug', see
# meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/initramfs-framework/debug for details
# Could be removed in more minimal product image
PACKAGE_INSTALL += "initramfs-module-debug"

Could you, please, review these lines and fix, if something is not correct?

I what I understood, this does the magic, but you could not stop in
initramfs shell? Still, this problem is not solved?

> I was following this site: https://wiki.debian.org/InitramfsDebug
> Rescue shell (also known as initramfs shell)
> Read man initramfs-tools to learn about the break=something kernel
> parameter (where valid arguments for something are: top, modules,
> premount, mount, mountroot, bottom, init), which starts a debug shell.
> You can try, for example, break=premount. You can edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> to add this to the end of the kernel line, or you can do it interactively
> from the grub boot menu: "e" to edit, and "b" to boot once you've edited
> the kernel line.

Now, as my understanding is, you solved this problem actually adding
to grub.cfg in command kernel line break=premount, and was able to
stop in rescue shell?! Am I correct here?

Thank you,
Zoran
_______