[yocto] Stuck to build zImage-initramfs

JH jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:34:34 PDT 2019

Hi,

I have been stuck to build zImage-initramfs for weeks. I've read Yocto
latest document, but still failed to generate the initarmfs to run on
RAM. I added following statements in local.conf:

UBOOT_CONFIG = "ram"
INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " ram"
IMAGE_FSTYPES_append = " cpio.xz"

It built to following images:

dev-image.rootfs.cpio.xz
u-boot.imx-ram
zImage.bin

If I extract the dev-image.rootfs.cpio.xz, it contains zImage at boot directory.

What I need is the zImage-initramfs to contain the rootfs in initramfs format.

I see there is document ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt, but it did not
mention how to generate zImage-initramfs.

There is core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb, but it cannot be run:

$ MACHINE="imx6evk" DISTRO="imx6evk" bitbake core-image-minimal-initramfs
ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-minimal-initramfs'
core-image-minimal-initramfs was skipped: incompatible with host
arm-oe-linux-gnueabi (not in COMPATIBLE_HOST)

Could any one help what I am missing here and how to build the zImage-initramfs?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jh