[yocto] Can't boot to initramfs

Moritz Porst moritz.porst at gmx.de
Mon Jul 1 02:19:54 PDT 2019

Hello Zoran,
thanks for your answer

On 28.06.19 14:26, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> > INITRAMFS_IMAGE = /*"core-image-minimal-initramfs"*/
> > INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"
> > You can find the /var/log/dmesg here: https://pastebin.com/ya7iCtq7I
>
> Some hints...
>
> [1] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzImage
> root=PARTUUID=71d1d94a-83e8-4895-98eb-35309f58119f
> break=premount quiet rootwait rootwait rootfstype=ext4
> /*console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0*/
> /*
> */
> input: Video Bus as
> /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input7
> fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
> Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
> /*i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device*/
> snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops
> i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
>
> Hmmmmm... You are using console and serial, but full i915 GFX kernel
> driver is still included in the build???
I started from the core-image-minimal to have a small image and extended
it with the features I need, which is e.g. a graphical system. The
console=[...] part in the kernel command line is probably a remnant but
my image boots into the GUI. Is this a problem ?
> /*
> */
> [2] efi: EFI v2.31 by American Megatrends
>
> Using AMI BIOS as boot loader FW... OK?! Am I correct?
My bootloader is currently grub, the EFI is AM.

> [3] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  E3825  @ 1.33GHz (family:
> 0x6, model: 0x37, stepping: 0x9)
>
> This is CPUID ID 0x30679, which uses MCU... Which MicroCodeUnit?
> M0130679xxx (info from AMI BIOS)?
Sorry but I can't find this info in the EFI

> [4] Using INTEL ATOM BYT E3825 dual core (sans Hyper-threading),
> implies that you are using
> 4GB (e820 messages) as single channel (one memory module DDR3 as 4GB)!
> Am I correct (important)?
2GB, single channel.

> [5] Dracut phase?!
> > To my understanding the initramfs should be embedded in /boot/bzImage.
> > However since I use an intel platform I also have a /boot/microcode.cpio
> > which gets loaded via "initrd /microcode.cpio". Removing this line in
> > grub does not enable me to get an initramfs prompt either (again, using
> > break as option).
>
> You are obviously stopping in boot phase called dracut. Please, try to
> mount by hand
> /dev/sda(whatever)... You should use fdisk -l command, or do ls -al
> /dev | grep sda to
> dig out which partition you need to mount to /tmp dir to see
> rootfstype=ext4 (HDD/SSD)
No, the boot does not stop. Even if I do issue "break=premount" I end up
in my graphical interface with the rootfs mounted. This is the last
message in the log:
EXT4-fs (sdb2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
The rootfs partition is always 2, so either /dev/sda2 or /dev/sdb2 (when
booting from stick)