[yocto] Systemd service recipe fails while booting from initramfs

Peter Bergin peter at berginkonsult.se
Mon Jan 21 00:34:00 PST 2019

On 2019-01-21 07:56, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I have added to my local.conf the following lines in order to port
> systemd service
> in YOCTO (Thud release):
>
> _/## Add systemd service
> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_dev_manager = "systemd"
> DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""
> DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " nfs systemd"/_
>
> By executing bitbake -k core-image-minimal command, all went good
> (although it rebuilt
> almost the whole build - circa 80% of it), which is understandable.
>
> While downloading initramfs on the target system, while bringing
> kernel up, the following
> happened (actual log):
> [    0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttyO0,115200n8
> root=/dev/ram0 ip=dhcp
> ... [snap]...
> [  114.064032] Sending DHCP requests ...... timed out!
> [  190.652571] IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed
> [  190.663158] Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024K
> [  190.668661] Run /init as init process
> System time before build time, advancing clock.
> /*Failed to mount tmpfs at /sys/fs/cgroup: No such file or directory
> Failed to mount cgroup at /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: No such file or
> directory
> [!!!!!!] */Failed to mount API filesystems, freezing.
> /*Freezing execution.*/
> [  192.984442] random: crng init done
>
> I have two questions (please, could you provide to me some help here):
> [1] How to fix this run-time bug (what I should do in the configuration)?
>      I found some interesting explanation about possible solution
> /(PACKAGECONFIG)/:
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2013-November/016965.html

Could be that you miss some required kernel configurations. See
systemd/README
(https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/8464d9e0dc506538fd0f2d1d667966750cb9cf30/README#L38)
> [2] I would like also to include networkctl service (should I do
> something specific to
>      enable it, or this is done by default enabling systemd)?
PACKAGECONFIG will control which features you have enabled for systemd.
To check which ones you have you can execute 'bitbake -e systemd | grep
^PACKAGECONFIG='. If you want to change this config you can adjust
PACKAGECONFIG in your own systemd_%.bbappend file.

I guess networkd is enabled default with the systemd recipe. But check
it out. There are several way to see which files that are included in
your image. I use buildhistory.bbclass in all my build which make it
easy too look up what's included.

Regards,
/Peter