[yocto] Community support for any Yocto release

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Jan 16 06:12:04 PST 2019

On 1/16/19 2:58 AM, Gaurang Shastri wrote:
> Thanks Nicolas for the prompt answer and wiki page information.
>
> So as you said, "Typically, alongside the latest release the previous two
> releases are also maintained.", do you mean any release will be maintained for 1
> year by community?

Generally it takes 6 months development between releases.  So the rough estimate
1 year of general updates from the community as a whole.  Sometimes it takes
slightly longer (or slightly less) then 6 months for the next release, and that
will then adjust the time scales for the prior version slightly as well.

One thing to keeo in mind for 'community support'.  "Support" is not intended to
be in the commercial sense, where there are specific fix time frames, etc.  It
just means there is an assigned maintainer and QA resources for that version
during that time.  It's still up to developers to send fixes for issues
encountered to the maintainers to get the issues fixed.

If you need a level of more dedicated support (time frame, resources, etc), you
should look for a commercial Yocto Project member.

--Mark