[yocto] Setting up a password for the root user

Alberto Spin a.spin at datawatt.nl
Fri Jan 11 07:41:12 PST 2019

Hello There,

I'm trying to set a password for the root user of my distribution (based rocko branch)

I've added the following to my image recipe:

inherit extrausers

# set image root password
ROOT_PASSWORD = "secret"

EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
    usermod -p 'openssl passwd ${ROOT_PASSWORD}' root; \
    "

Everything builds fine, but in my image I end up with a password in my /etc/shadow file like this:

openssl passwd secret

so it seems like the openssl command has not been executed during the build, but instead the literal command is now part of my password.

Can anybody please explain what's going on here, and how to fix this?

Kind Regards,

Alberto