[yocto] Removing busybox

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Wed Feb 27 21:19:45 PST 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:59:42PM +0000, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 23:55, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > My current incomplete list is:
> >     bind-utils \
> >     bridge-utils \
> >     coreutils \
> >     dnsmasq \
> >     e2fsprogs \
> >     e2fsprogs-resize2fs \
> >     e2fsprogs-tune2fs \
> >     findutils \
> >     gawk \
> >     grep \
> >     inetutils-ping \
> >     inetutils-ping6 \
> >     inetutils-traceroute \
> >     iproute2 \
> >     less \
> >     net-tools \
> >     parted \
> >     pciutils \
> >     procps \
> >     sed \
> >     util-linux \
> >     vim \
> >     which \
> >
> > And it's also incomplete as there's more stuff under inetutils I don't
> > need (but others may), and I set aside patch/diff/ed and some other
> > stuff I don't need.  And since some of that stuff comes from
> > meta-openembedded, it's indeed really not clear how/where a packagegroup
> > would reside as we need things out of meta-networking.
>
> That's a good start.  For a oe-core packagegroup

I do not think a core-only packagegroup makes sense when the goal is to
completely replace busybox (and not just most apps while keeping a few
busybox apps installed).

> I'd suggest dropping
> dnsmasq bridgeutils bindutils to keep it lean.

The stated usecases are not "lean" but "replace all busybox commands
with the full versions".

For that you need bind-utils (in oe-core) for DNS lookup.

> Also swap vim for something in core obviously.

It is not obvious how to do that.

What other vi implementation is in core?
Is there even any good non-busybox non-GUI editor in core?
Replacing busybox vi with ed would be a bad fit for the
stated usecases.

There has to be some vi implementation installed,
and the "desktop command" implementation is vim.

> Ross

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.