[yocto] Yocto General purpose evaluation

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:37:45 PST 2019

> Background/requirements

> Currently using Debian OS on my prototype build based on a

> Beaglebone green wireless.

> Custom software is constructed in java.

> System utilizes 9 axis accelerometer, vibration sensor, Bluetooth,

> WiFi, LTE-M, GNSS, power management (through BB I2c and

> GPIO channels)

> It runs on a battery and solar.

Very stringent requirements. But... I would suggest more systematic

approach, which has more in-depth reach: nothing to do with neither

YOCTO, neither Debian!

> Power usage is important. Standby is used and still needs to listen

> for vibration sensor, Bluetooth and LTE-m cellular events.

> Only constrained *by power usage and data usage*. Processor or

> memory usage are unconstrained except for in relation to power usage.

Here, the data usage and memory usage are somehow on the same page.

I will assume that main (and sole) problem here is *power usage*.

> Minimizing data usage if an OS update is needed would be an advantage

> No audio , video, USB or GUI is used.

You need to consider deeper, more fundamental approach, here. The first

control you have over the hardware is U-Boot run (boot-loader).

In other words, you should, using U-Boot (I am assuming you use U-Boot),

to add functions which explicity disable the next functionality in ARM

(AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8): <http://www.ti.com/product/am3358>

[1] ALSA HW (some registers in Power Plane which will completely disconnect

     ALSA domain);

[2] The same for HDMI 720p domain;

[3] The same for USB domain;

[4] Whatever HW blocks/domains you really do not use!

Then, you need to minimize Linux driver tree, leaving only what you really
use:

9 axis accelerometer;

vibration sensor;

Bluetooth;

WiFi;

LTE-M;

GNSS;

Power management (through BB I2c);

GPIO channels (leaving the minimum GPIO usage)!

I would prefer Debian (for number of reasons), but YOCTO is, certainly,

the good option too!

Zoran

_______