[yocto] kernel module override

Russell Peterson peterson.russell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 05:57:58 PST 2019

Hello,

I have what I would think is an unusual requirement regarding a kernel
module and could use some advice.

I have a kernel module that has been heavily modified... to the point where
we have a separate recipe for it and treat it as an out-of-tree module.
This works by not setting the kernel config file to build that module and
our meta layer builds and installs the module.  No problem... works fine
for us.

The problem is that we now want to enable another module that relies on the
module we build out of tree.  The issue is that the check config sees we
have not enabled our out of tree module and thus the sanitized config does
not contain this module that we want to enable.  If we enable the modified
module in the config file there is, of course, a package conflict.

I have tried using "virtual/mymodule" preferred provider but that fails
since it seems to have a recipe "granularity" and we still need
virtual/kernel.  I have also messed around with
KERNEL_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX and KERNEL_MODULES_RDEPENDS_BLACKLIST but I
get the sense I'm trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I do realize this is an unusual situation and the question "why don't you
just patch the existing driver in the kernel?" is obvious.  We do have our
reasons that I won't go into.

Is there any obvious way we can simply "eclipse" an existing kernel module
with an out-of-tree module?  Is there a way I could add a config fragment
that doesn't get validated/sanitized, for example?

Regards,

Russell