[yocto] Using SDK/ESDK to build images

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 14 12:22:51 PST 2019

Hi Kristupas,

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 12:55:57 AM NZDT Kristupas Savickas wrote:
> we're looking into providing our customers with SDK/ESDK packages to
> develop custom solutions on our boards. We don't want to provide the
> whole project itself as it would leak our intellectual property, so
> precompiled packages are a must. Looking around, it seems like both SDK
> and ESDK are suited to build single packages, rather than complete
> images. Am I correct about this? Is there some kind of method to allow
> images be built using SDK packages?

The eSDK can build images, yes, via "devtool build-image". You won't get the
same ability to customise the OS as with the full build system (unless you
start editing the software contents or modifying the configuration, which
isn't really supported) - the purpose is really to allow building an image to
test one or more components that you're developing with the SDK.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton