[yocto] SDK install w/ CMake

Eric Schwarz eas at sw-optimization.com
Thu Feb 14 00:30:46 PST 2019

Hi Pascal

> I don't think your issue has something do to with CMake.

You are right IMHO. We checked again the pugixml installation behaviour
and it turned out we are experiencing the same issue.

>> we have got the problem that w/ the Yocto recipe and CMake install
>> targets
>> as below always everything (headers and library or binary
>> respectively) is installed in the SDK.
>> The binary also goes into the SDK even though we just add it to
>> IMAGE_INSTALL based on a XILINX yocto build (rel-v2018.3).
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. If you add
> something to IMAGE_INSTALL it gets installed to the target.
> That usually includes binaries and libraries.
>
> If you only want libraries but not binaries it's probably best to split
> them into multiple packages as described in
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#package-splitting-dev-environment
>
> This way you can have the binaries in a different package like
> ${PN}-tools.

We have not figured out on how to add the build artifacts of the library
to the the correct FILES_${PN} variables. It seems that the FILES_${PN}
variables are also kind of overlayed [1].

a) We would like to see the *.so of the library only on the RootFS but
the headers, the *.so and the *.a in the SDK.
b) We are trying to install a binary via FILES_${PN} but it also ends up
in the SDK no matter what.

A colleague also posted the question on stackoverflow [2] which
describes it more verbosely.

The Yocto release is rocko based.

Thanks
Eric