[yocto] Update kernel by package-management

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon Feb 11 02:32:57 PST 2019

On 08-02-19 17:02, Mauro Ziliani wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I know this is a VERY dangerous operation, but I'm curious.

Depends on your definition of "dangerous".

> Is it possible to upgrade the kernel & dtb from debian package in Yocto?

Sure, doing it all the time (from ipk, but that shouldn't matter much).

If the kernel/dts is just a file on the system, there's just a package that
installs /boot/uImage or whatever.

If the kernel is in some special location in flash or so, I usually set up the
kernel image to install into /tmp/ and then let a post-install script write it
from /tmp/ into the flash location (e.g. using "flashcp").

Same for the devicetree.

As for dangerous, worst thing that could happen is that you'd have to use the
bootloader to revive the system.

--
ML