[yocto] CMake based recipes and defining CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Wed Feb 6 10:23:08 PST 2019

I'm trying to understand why the cmake.bbclass doesn't make any attempt to set CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE and what the design philosophy behind that is?

On the surface I would expect that the default build type would be Release but I can see how that might not always be the right choice. I'm really surprised that there isn't a global variable that can be set for this, am I missing something, or is it really expected that each recipe provide it if they care?

FYI I started looking into this when I realized that NDEBUG is not set for many (if not all) of my CMake based recipes and thus asserts are still enabled in my production code. This appears to be known behavior for CMake if CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE is not set.

Matt S.