[yocto] Proper Use of KERNEL_MODULE_AUTOLOAD variable

Ken Sloat ken.sloat at ohmlinxelectronics.com
Sat Feb 2 18:59:13 PST 2019

Hello,

I have an out of tree kernel module which I want autoloaded at startup
on my system. Looking at the Yocto project manual, I see that one way
I can do this is to add the module name to the KERNEL_MODULE_AUTOLOAD
variable within my custom module recipe.

What I have found is that the module-split class is indeed generating
the "/etc/modules-load.d/mymodule.conf" file, however this file is not
actually being installed. To be more precise it is appearing in the
"package" directory (i.e.
tmp/work/**/mymodule/package/etc/modules-load.d/mymodule.conf) but not
within the "image" directory (nor in my final rootfs).

Is there something I'm missing in the usage of KERNEL_MODULE_AUTOLOAD?
Is the intention for this variable I add extra steps to manually
install this file in my recipe? FYI I'm using Morty.

Thanks,
Ken Sloat