[yocto] Fetching Yocto layers

Brian Silverman bri at readysetstem.com
Fri Aug 30 06:34:14 PDT 2019

Is there a way to automatically fetch/add a yocto layer from another layer?

My problem is that I’d like to be able to build instructions of my product
from one version number.  But here’s our normal (example) build
instructions:

git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky -b some_poky_tag

cd poky
git clone git://git.somelayer1.com/meta-layer1 -b some_layer1_tag

git clone git://git.somelayer2.com/meta-layer2 -b some_layer2_tag

git clone git://git.mylayer.com/meta-mylayer -b some_mylayer_tag

source ./oe-init-build-env
bitbake-layers add-layer ../meta-layer1
bitbake-layers add-layer ../meta-layer2
bitbake-layers add-layer ../meta-mylayer

bitbake mylayer-image

The tags chosen above are based on what we test and ship.  So my issue is
that someone has to correctly follow the above instructions for different
versions of multiple layers if they want a reproducible build of a specific
version of mylayer-image.

Is there a canonical why to encode this information within my layer?
Obviously I could script the above, store it in my layer, and have the user
run that script.  But, that seems very unyocto-like.

--

Brian Silverman

Ready Set STEM

bri at readysetstem.com