[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW34'19

sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 07:50:28 PDT 2019

Current Dev Position: YP 2.8 M3

Next Deadline: YP 2.8 Milestone M3 Cutoff (Feature Freeze) Aug 25, 2019

SWAT Team Rotation:

*	SWAT lead is currently: Chen
*	SWAT team rotation: Chen -> Anuj on Aug. 23, 2019
*	SWAT team rotation: Anuj -> Armin on Aug. 30, 2019
*	 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Next Team Meetings:

*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday August 22nd at 7:30am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603> https://zoom.us/j/454367603)
*	Monthly Project Meeting Tuesday Sept. 3rd at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> https://zoom.us/j/990892712)
*	Twitch - Next event is Tuesday Sept. 10th at 8am PDT (
<https://www.twitch.tv/yocto_project> https://www.twitch.tv/yocto_project)

Key Status/Updates:

*	YP 2.6.3 has been released.
*	This release which was 2.8 will now become 3.0.
*	The sstate hash equivalency continues to have challenges:

*	performance of the hash server is not able to scale to the
autibuilder's load
*	there are some bugs in the code the autobuilder continues to expose
*	we have cases where its not 100% clear what the correct behaviour
should be
*	test cases are proving to be problematic to write in a maintainable
way

*	On a more positive note, some of the key performance issues were
identified and fixed so performance doesn't regress for usage without hash
equivalence. Several corruption issues and other key fixes to runqueue also
merged.
*	Jason Wessel finally tracked down our mystery glibc-locale bug,
which was not a pseudo issue. Thanks and kudos to Jason!
*	General patch merging is currently delayed along with patch feedback
due to the hash equivalence issues and lack of bandwidth to progress
everything at once.
*	We still need to make a decision on systemd or sysvinit defaults as
the init system.
*	We are a week away from the 3.0 feature freeze.

Planned Releases for YP 3.0 {2.8}:

*	M3 Cutoff (Feature Freeze) 25th Aug
*	M3 Release 6th Sept
*	M4 Cutoff 30th Sept - this will be YP 3.0.
*	YP 3.0 {2.8 (M4)} Final Release 25th Oct

Planned upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 2.7.2 (Warrior) is planned for after YP 3.0 release.
*	YP 2.6.4 (Thud) is planned for after YP 2.7.2  release.

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2495 (last week 2482) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1491 (last week 1489)
*	Patches in the Pending State: 616 (41%) [last week 617 (41%)]

Key Status Links for YP:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.8_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.8_Status

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Schedule>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Schedule

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Features>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.8_Features

The Yocto Project's technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Project Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com>