[yocto] Trouble using initramfs

Moritz Porst moritz.porst at gmx.de
Fri Aug 16 01:26:40 PDT 2019

On 16.08.19 01:17, Mittal, Anuj wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-08-15 at 19:12 -0300, Antonio Teixeira wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've been having trouble with loading initramfs on boot when the
>> initramfs is bundled with the kernel image.
>> I've been using the following options in local.conf:
>> INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "core-image-minimal-initramfs"
>> INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"
>>
>> I'm using the linux-intel kernel from the meta-intel layer, however,
>> when booting, the kernel simply doesn't load the initramfs.
When I build a bundled kernel image I have a normal bzImage (~10mb) and
a bzImage-initramfs(~30mb) in my build directory. Check the kernel image
on your device, for me always the unbundled one gets deployed with the
image, so I copy the bundled image via "scp. You may have to increase
size of the boot partition in case you use an additional boot partition.
In wic you can use the --size <size in mb> command.

>> If I set INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE to "0", copy the generated initramfs
>> image to the boot partition, and then point grub to the external
>> initramfs.cpio.gz image using the initrd option in the boot entry
>> config, the kernel loads it fine and everything works.
> Which branch are you using? Can you try the latest master with wic?
> There was a fix to wic to allow copying the kernel image with bundled
> initramfs to boot partition instead of the one without when
> INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE is 1.
I didn't ask the original question but have the same problem. I have the
thud branch checked out, but I couldn't find that fix on google. Can you
elaborate on this ?

> Thanks,
>
> Anuj
Best regards