[yocto] Trouble using initramfs

Antonio Teixeira antonio.teixeira at bry.com.br
Thu Aug 15 15:12:28 PDT 2019

Hello.

I've been having trouble with loading initramfs on boot when the
initramfs is bundled with the kernel image.
I've been using the following options in local.conf:
INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "core-image-minimal-initramfs"
INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = "1"

I'm using the linux-intel kernel from the meta-intel layer, however,
when booting, the kernel simply doesn't load the initramfs.

If I set INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE to "0", copy the generated initramfs
image to the boot partition, and then point grub to the external
initramfs.cpio.gz image using the initrd option in the boot entry
config, the kernel loads it fine and everything works.

I'm booting in a x86_64 computer (not an embedded device) using these
instructions:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/How_do_I#Q:_How_do_I_put_Yocto_on_a_hard_drive.3F

Am I missing something? Do I need to set some other kernel parameters?
Is there any way I can check if the resulting kernel image indeed has an
initramfs bundled with it?