[yocto] Init stops working on second boot cycle

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Tue Aug 13 03:21:31 PDT 2019

I’ve got a strange issue and I don’t know whether it is a Yocto related
issue, a kernel issue or something else completely…

I have an image that is built with thud (2.6.2) using meta-atmel for the
SAMA5D2-Xplained reference board.  I deploy the resulting .wic file to
an SD card and boot the reference board and all is OK.  I can log into
the terminal, upload files, etc. and again all seems to be well.

If I press the reset button on the hardware platform, on the next boot
cycle it always stops with the following being last messages being
displayed:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024K
Run /sbin/init as init process
INIT: version 2.88 booting

The system hasn’t completely hung as the occasional kernel message
appears but the user space init process (sysvinit) doesn’t seem to be
working at all.  If I put the SD card into a Linux desktop machine the
file system on it is still valid and the changes that I have made are
still present.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is screwing it up?

-Andy.