[yocto] Yocto (poky) thud build problems with xen-image-minimal

Ken Bassford kbassford at apertussolutions.com
Tue Apr 16 07:11:35 PDT 2019

Greetings,

I have just transitioned to a clean upgrade to 'thud' (poky) and I'm having problems executing a test build of "xen-image minimal".
My bblayers.conf file contains the following layers ...
BBLAYERS ?= " \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-poky \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-filesystems \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-python \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-networking \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-perl \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-intel \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-selinux \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-virtualization \
/home/kbassford/repo/poky/meta-security \
"

My local.conf is appended with the following ...
# Customizations
DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " xen virtualization "
IMAGE_INSTALL_append += " bridge-utils wireshark"
IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= " strace"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= " strace"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-recipename = " dhcp dhcpcd"

IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE = "381600"
BB_ENV_WHITELIST = " IMAGE_ROOTFS_EXTRA_SPACE"

# for Dom0
BOOTIMG_EXTRA_SPACE = '825312'
BOOTIMG_VOLUME_ID = 'dom0sd'

The first failure I encountered was this ...
glibc-locale-2.28: glibc-locale: Files/directories were installed but not shipped in any package:
/usr/lib/gconv/EBCDIC-DK-NO-A.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM1097.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM874.so
/usr/lib/gconv/ISO8859-14.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM865.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM1157.so
/usr/lib/gconv/MAC-CENTRALEUROPE.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM274.so
/usr/lib/gconv/EUC-JP.so
/usr/lib/gconv/IBM1025.so

This has been documented on and off through several releases, usually solved by using "DISTRO_FEATURES_append =" in place of "DISTRO_FEATURES +=" in the local.conf file. Despite my local.conf containing "DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " the compile fails.
Compiling glibc-locale by itself succeeds (bitbake glibc-locale -c cleanall && bitbake glibc-locale)

The second failure I encountered was ...
util/zbin.c:7:18: fatal error: lzma.h: No such file or directory
#include <lzma.h>
^
compilation terminated.

Compiling xz-native by itself succeeds, but compiling ipxe by itself fails with the same error.

Could someone from the community tell me what I'm overlooking?
Are there bugs in the aforementioned recipes?

Apologies for the length, I wanted to include all the details up front. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Ken Bassford
Apertus Solutions