[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW14'19

sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 07:55:03 PDT 2019

Current Dev Position: YP 2.7 M4 (New feature Freeze has begun.)

Next Deadline: YP 2.7 M3 Release Target was Mar. 8, 2019 and it should
release today!

SWAT Team Rotation:

*	SWAT lead is currently: Amanda
*	SWAT team rotation: Amanda -> Chen on Apr. 12, 2019
*	SWAT team rotation: Chen -> Armin Apr. 19, 2019
*	 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Next Team Meetings:

*	YP 2.8 Planning meeting Tuesday April 16nd at 8am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/990892712> https://zoom.us/j/990892712)
*	Bug Triage meeting Thursday April 11th at 7:30am PDT (
<https://zoom.us/j/454367603> https://zoom.us/j/454367603)

Key Status/Updates:

*	YP 2.7 M3 rc1 will be released today. The YP 2.7 M3 rc1 report is
summarized at
<https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2019-April/044667.html>
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2019-April/044667.html and
the results are at
<https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/releases/yocto-2.7_M3.rc1/testresults/>
https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/releases/yocto-2.7_M3.rc1/testresults/.
*	YP 2.5.3 and YP 2.6.2 stable releases were built and have been
submitted to QA
*	YP 2.6.2 is currently going through the QA process with YP 2.5.3
queued behind it.
*	Process issues in the way ptest was being processed by QA have been
discovered which mean the previous ptest results are not comparable with the
new QA process. For consistency going forward we will be using the new QA
process as the definitive results and will be comparing for regressions
based upon these.
*	The "warrior" branches for 2.7 have been created and the metadata
updated, patches are being slowed in line with release stablisation with
increasingly critical fixes only.
*	The remaining things which are planned for YP 2.7 M4 before we have
the final 2.7 rc1 build are:

*	Upgrading -tiny to the 5.0 linux-yocto kernel (currently 4.18)
*	Removal of the 4.18 kernel
*	Fixing the python3 ptest timeout and result status issues
*	Fixing some of the util-linux ptest failures
*	Potentially integrating a key and long time puzzling pseudo issue
*	Integrating qemumips shutdown issues identified in the kernel
*	Continue to investigate python3 testsuite hang on 5.0+ kernels
(trying to get help upstream)

*	Worrying things which we don't have good plans for currently (mainly
lack of people to help with):

*	Intermittent autobuilder failures (fork running out of resources -
which resources?, oe-selftest intermittent issues, gpg signing resource
problems, occasional PR server failure and more)
*	Build-appliance testing issues (show up on each QA report across
multiple releases)
*	40% valgrind ptest failures
*	Known bitbake memory resident bugs
*	Other ptest failures

*	The 2.8 planning discussions are starting and there is a google doc
summarising the discussions so far:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CNEKA4d0eT6-e0hnS2pwi7xdZ5_t6smpZO2HbaJ
GXbU/>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CNEKA4d0eT6-e0hnS2pwi7xdZ5_t6smpZO2HbaJG
XbU/

If people are planning to work on specific things in 2.8 please let us know
so we can incorporate this into our plans. If you're interested in working
on anything in the document, please also let us know or talk with us in one
of the planning meetings.

Planned Releases for YP 2.7:

*	YP 2.7 M4 Cutoff was Apr. 1, 2019
*	YP 2.7 M4 Release Target is Apr. 26, 2019

Planned upcoming dot releases:

*	YP 2.5.3 (Sumo) is in QA.
*	YP 2.6.2 (Thud) is in QA.

Tracking Metrics:

*	WDD 2471 (last week 2442) (
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
*	Poky Patch Metrics

*	Total patches found: 1553 (last week 1542
*	Patches in the Pending State: 655 (42%) [last week 656 (42%)]

Key Status Links for YP:

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.7_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.7_Status

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.7_Schedule>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.7_Schedule

 <https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.7_Features>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.7_Features

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
<https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status>
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you'd like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley

Yocto Project Project Manager

*    Cell:                (208) 244-4460

* Email:              sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com
<mailto:sjolley.yp.pm at gmail.com>