[yocto] [OE-core] [oe] Git commit process question.

Alexander Kanavin alex.kanavin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 03:50:27 PDT 2019

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 02:39, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Definitely, and I agree that we should put relevant information in
> commits, usually
> the information about side effects if any, links to changelog etc. are
> useful too
> however, we should not enforce a behavior which could result in
> redundancy as explained

To be honest, researching changelogs and summarizing them into commit
messages is feasible if you maintain maybe three recipes. When you
maintain thirty, it becomes a burden, and I am not going to take that
burden. There's already enough work in getting the upgrade into
working shape, work that largely goes unnoticed and unappreciated and
does not require finding and reading upstream changelogs.

HOWEVER. I think we could start putting links to changelogs into the
recipes themselves. If it's a webpage, we can use templating to
substitute version numbers, if it's a file in the source tree, we can
also come up with a format for that. Then it's a simple extension to
e.g. devtool to show that changelog via less or a browser.

Alex