[yocto] [oe] [OE-core] Git commit process question.

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Apr 3 07:41:10 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 11:30:39AM +0100, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 20:46, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > > The kernel does not have "upgrade foo to the latest upstream version" commits.
> > >
> > > With the Automatic Upgrade Helper this is a semi-automatic task, and
> > > most of the time there is no specific motivation other than upgrading
> > > to the latest upstream version.
> >
> > But since that's just filling in a template the body can also be a
> > template perhaps with useful AUH data (run at ... by ... ?) ?
>
> Apart from making the commit message longer what does this achieve?
> The commit already has a timestamp and author.

It's an etiquette thing.  Subject+Sign-off+Empty body is bad form.  AUH
updates are a form of "trivial update" that every project has.  "Update
$X from version $Y to $Z" is what a human would normally put.  It's
weird looking at git log of nothing but subject+signed-off-by.  I'm not
going to object further on this point, but I don't get it.

--
Tom