[yocto] Is KCONFIG_MODE test backwards in kernel-yocto.bbclass?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Sep 26 05:34:46 PDT 2018

On 2018-09-25 10:03 PM, Aaron Cohen wrote:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/kernel-yocto.bbclass#n297
>
> With no KCONFIG_MODE specified, we check if the user has copied a
> defconfig to workdir, and then use allnoconfig if so. Shouldn't we be
> using alldefconfig in this case?
>
> The result currently is that if you use a defconfig file that you add to
> SRC_URI, much of it won't work, because it's been set to no by
> allnoconfig, and it's not super-obvious, to me at least, why.

Nope. This is fully intentional. The defconfig is traditionally
a complete .config that specifies all values. As such, we clear
the settings with allnoconfig and then apply it to the tree.

If you want a minimal .config (like fragments, etc), that adds
only non-default settings, we use alldefconfig and then apply
the fragments.

Cheers,

Bruce