[yocto] Building, Using SDK

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Sun Sep 16 20:49:53 PDT 2018

On 09/13/2018 10:18 PM, Dudziak Krzysztof wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Alex González elaborates in his book Embedded Linux Development Using
> Yocto Projets (2nd Edition)
>
> SDK-related questions – basics, building, usage (chapter 4).
>
> 1.
>
> Downloading then installing precompiled SDK was one of all available
> options according to Alex.
>
> He elaborates how to find it on server in Internet, how to select
> needed one and install it.
>
> I wonder how to integrate downloaded and installed precompiled SDK
>
> to Poky release used on build system?

I'd suggest you not using precompiled SDK unless you are justing doing
some simple cross compilation that requires no additional libs, header
files, etc.

> 2.
>
> Preparing / building SDK by oneself was further option with image
> target’s ‘populate_sdk’ Bitbake task
>
> as the recommended way (according to Alex in chapter’s certain section).
>
> One would need only to start populate_sdk task for image which matches
> root file system of system in development.
>
> As soon as task completed SDK can be installed using generated script.
>
> But how does it work for first build where rootfs was not built in the
> past.
>
> Is in that case following procedure the proper one?
>
> step 1: bitbake <image-name> -c populate_sdk
>
> step 2: bitbake <image-name>

The populate_sdk task directly installs rpm packages (nativesdk ones and
target ones) to form an SDK.
It does not need rootfs to be generated first.

Normally you use an SDK for a specific target.
So the `bitbake IMAGE' is used to generate the image, and `bitbake IMAGE
-c populate_sdk' is used to generate the SDK for the image.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi