[yocto] curl package config

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:00:30 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Erik Botö <erik.boto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM Antonio Santagiuliana
> <santantonioswap at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>> I am trying to enable the SMB protocol when building curl library by Yocto
>> the original recipe is under meta/recipes-support/curl
>>
>> in my image's local.conf I have
>> IMAGE_INSTALL_append += "curl-dev"
>>
>> curl is built correctly, but SMB is disabled
>>
>> So I tried to add a .bbappend file with same name as the recipe's name,
>> with this line only :
>> PACKAGECONFIG = "--enable-smb"

This is just the wrong syntax. PACKAGECONFIG is not a list of
configure options. It's a list of "features" to enable, which are then
translated into appropriate configure options (and dependencies) based
on rules defined in the recipe. Maybe look through some existing
recipes in oe-core to get some idea of how the process works.

>> but I still have SMB disaabled on curl.
>>
>> Which is the right way to enable it with PACKAGECONFIG?
>> or another way ?
>

> You just want to add "smb" to the variable PACKAGECONFIG in the bbappend.
> But since the original recipe uses ??= to assign the default PACKAGECONFIG
> value you probably want to either redefine the whole variable as the
> original recipe, but adding "smb"
> PACKAGECONFIG = "${@bb.utils.filter('DISTRO_FEATURES', 'ipv6', d)} gnutls
> libidn proxy threaded-resolver verbose zlib smb"
>
> I think it could work if you use _append as well, since I think that's added
> after the ??= operator is evaluated. So you can also try (note the space
> before smb):
> PACKAGECONFIG_append = " smb"

Using _append like this to add values to PACKAGECONFIG is the
recommended way (ie don't try to use +=) for the reasons mentioned.

Redefining the entire variable isn't necessary or recommended (it
requires more maintenance to keep the .bbappend value in sync with any
changes in the base recipe).