[yocto] Yocto Project Status WW36’18

Jolley, Stephen K stephen.k.jolley at intel.com
Tue Sep 4 07:46:52 PDT 2018

Current Dev Position: YP 2.6 M3. - This is feature freeze for YP 2.6!

Next Deadline: YP 2.6 M3 Build Target is Aug. 27, 2018

SWAT Team Rotation:

·         SWAT lead is currently: Ross

·         SWAT team rotation: Ross -> Amanda on Sept. 7, 2018

·         SWAT team rotation: Amanda -> Tracy on Sept. 14, 2018

·         https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Build_Failure_Swat_Team

Key Status/Updates:

·         We’re now into M3 feature freeze so new feature patches, particularly for unplanned changes will be much less likely to be merged until 2.7 now.

·         M3 has not been built yet. There are some significant changes which did merge:

o    Remaining 4.18 kernel pieces

o    Openssl 1.1.1 for everything except openssh

·         There are some patches which should really get merged before we build M3:

o    Multilib allarch changes need another respin after review feedback

o    Busybox recipe upgrade (current one is a comparatively old version)

·         There are some issues of concern which may also need addressing for M3:

o    Bitbake error output is looking fragile around server startup and the recent fixes that merged have only highlighted more issues todo with output being lost in unflushed buffers.

o    We’ve now found multiple issues where autotools tests are falling back to incorrect defaults due to cross compilation and being unable to execute code. We now have patches to warn when this happens (thanks Ross) but the number of warnings is concerning.

o    The new autobuilder code is now able to track and flag builds which issue warnings as well as errors. This has uncovered a number of issues which also may need investigation.

o    The python3 pgo optimisations are proving extremely slow to build. There are some tweaks we can make to speed this up and this is being actively worked on.

·         Given the number of issues above we will hold off building M3 until at least the majority of these are resolved, some warning fixing may also happen in M4.

·         The sstate hash equivalency code is still pending review and resolution of the filehandle upon fork issues.

·         We plan to build M3 on the new autobuilder codebase and infrastructure (based upon buildbot ‘nine’) and decommission the older buildbot ‘eight’ codebase ASAP.

Planned Releases for YP 2.6:

·         YP 2.6 M3 Build Target is Aug. 27, 2018

·         YP 2.6 M3 Release Target is Sept. 7, 2018

·         YP 2.6 M4 Build Target is Oct. 1, 2018

·         YP 2.6 M4 Release Target is Oct. 26, 2018

Planned upcoming dot releases:

·         YP 2.4.4 (Rocko) will be targeted after YP 2.6 M4 is done.

·         YP 2.5.2 (Sumo) will be targeted after YP 2.4.4 is done.

Tracking Metrics:

·         WDD 2582 (last week 2610) (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)

·         Poky Patch Metrics

o    Total patches found: 1643 (last week 1636)

o    Percentage of patches in the Pending State: 736 (45%) [last week 737 (45%)]

Key Status Links for YP:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_Project_v2.6_Status

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.6_Schedule

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Yocto_2.6_Features

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at: https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

Stephen K. Jolley
Yocto Project Program Manager
INTEL, MS JF1-255, 2111 N.E. 25th Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
•    Cell:                (208) 244-4460
• Email:                             stephen.k.jolley at intel.com