[yocto] Systemd based image freezing issue

Ravikiran J ravikiran.j at mistralsolutions.com
Tue Sep 4 07:19:43 PDT 2018

Dear Yocto team,

We have build the systemd init  based core-image-minimal  image in Yocto
version 2.2.2  Morty.
We are getting some systemd init failure with this image in our board.

Following is the failed logs :
systemd[1]: System time before build time, advancing clock.
systemd[1]: systemd 230 running in system mode. (-PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA
-APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP -GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL +XZ
-LZ4 -SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN)
systemd[1]: Detected architecture arm.

Welcome to Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 2.2.2 (morty)!

systemd[1]: Set hostname to <rzn1d400-graco>.
systemd[1]: Initializing machine ID from random generator.
systemd[1]: Installed transient /etc/machine-id file.
systemd[1]: Cannot determine cgroup we are running in: No medium found
systemd[1]: Failed to allocate manager object: No medium found
[!!!!!!] Failed to allocate manager object, freezing.
systemd[1]: Freezing execution.

Kernel (Version 4.9) is build with CGROUPS enable, still it's not helping
to initialize properly.

Systemd is enabled through the local.conf file of  the build with following
options :

DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = "systemd-compat-units"

Note:
*Systvinit based core-image-minimal image is working fine in our board.*

Is there anything else needs to enable on the Linux kernel side and Yocto
side build?
Kindly help us to resolve this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravikiran J J