[yocto] Where to look when literally nothing happens?

Erik Hoogeveen erik.hoogeveen at outlook.com
Wed Oct 31 05:55:26 PDT 2018

Hello,

I’m rather new to embedded software and Yocto. I hope this is the right place to ask. If not I’d appreciate it if someone could point me the right way to do so.

I’m trying to make a Yocto build for a raspberry pi 3. I’ve got it booting and doing things on a regular plain vanilla Raspberry pi 3 board. It boots and over serial console I can log in and do things.
But the ultimate target is to run this image on my own board which is built around a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 Lite. Since regular Raspbian (what’ I’ve used so far) works fine on both boards without modification I assumed that this would be the case as well with this image I made myself. But it turns out I was wrong.

When I take the image from the build and stick it in my compute module board, literally nothing happens. The boot sequence doesn’t seem to even begin, I get nothing on the serial console, and none of the peripherals like the ethernet ever come to life either.

And since nothing happens I really have no idea where to look for a solution. I’m guessing this is a bit of a noob issue? It would be great if someone could point me in a direction to look at.

Kind regards,
Erik Hoogeveen.