[yocto] qemu and grub

Dimitris Tassopoulos dimtass at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:14:10 PDT 2018

Hi all.

Usually I have a small x86_64 board that I test images. But for the first
time I've tried to use yocto to do some development on grub. I've used
qemu to do grub development before and I know that this works fine. I
just use grub-mkrescue to create images with my grub script and then
boot.

Now I've tried to do the same with yocto after setting these to local.conf

MACHINE ??= "qemux86"
IMAGE_FSTYPES += " wic wic.vmdk"
WKS_FILE ?= "directdisk-multi-rootfs.wks"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " grub-efi"

In my wks file I've set:
part /boot --source bootimg-efi --sourceparams="loader=grub-efi" --ondisk
sda --label boot --active --align 1024
part / --source rootfs --ondisk sda --fstype=ext4 --label platform --align
1024
part /rescue --source rootfs --ondisk sda --fstype=ext4 --label secondary
--align 1024

bootloader --ptable gpt --timeout=10 --append="rootwait rootfstype=ext4
video=vesafb vga=0x318 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8"

So, the problem is that the resulting images are using syslinux instead of
grub and also the runqemu doesn't work with the produced images and
complains the some of the parameters of the architecture is wrong.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Dimitris