[yocto] Moving to Yocto 2.3 - recipe-specific sysroots - improving the documentation

Uwe Geuder jrswdnan22 at snkmail.com
Tue Oct 30 06:14:36 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:05 AM CHMIELARZ Radoslaw radoslaw.chmielarz-at-leica-geosystems.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I think the documentation on migrating between Yocto 2.2 and 2.3 needs
> more clarification as to how did the sysroots have changed.

[...]
> Now when trying to migrate I have noticed that STAGING_DIR is not
> populated any more and this is clearly explained by the
> documentation. What is not explained however is how to get the files
> from other recipes. The documentation simply states that each recipe
> has its own staging directory.
[...]

Have you seen this chapter?

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.5.1/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#new-sharing-files-between-recipes

(well, that's not 2.3 but the newest one, but I am not aware that
anything significant has changed once more)

The headline promises to answer the question, but at least I don't fully
follow the explanations. They are talking about *the* sysroot. As we
know sysroots are recipe-specifc now. So if we are talking about sharing
files between recipes, we have an "exporting" recipe and an "importing"
recipe, so at least in theory 2 sysroots could be involved. From the
text in the manual I do not understand which one they mean and what they
try to explain.

So yes, I agree that the documentation should be clarified. Unfortunatly
I am not in the situation to suggest the solution.

Regards,

Uwe Geuder
Neuro Event Labs Oy
Tampere, Finland