[yocto] NVIDIA or AMD accelerated graphics on x86 or x86-64 machine architecture

Matt Ervin matt.office at impsoftware.org
Sat Oct 27 13:14:21 PDT 2018

Hi Jon,

Q: 1) Which OakLabs layer you using, and what exactly the failures
messages are?

A: I’m using the Oak Labs repo located here:
https://github.com/OakLabsInc/meta-nvidia
I have the “pyro” branch checked out, as it’s the only branch in the
repo, and I followed the instructions in the “README” to add the recipe
to my build by modifying my “local.conf” file.  This is the output it
produces:

$ bitbake sockeye-gm
WARNING: Layer nvidia should set LAYERSERIES_COMPAT_nvidia in its
conf/layer.conf file to list the core layer names it is compatible with.
WARNING: Layer nvidia should set LAYERSERIES_COMPAT_nvidia in its
conf/layer.conf file to list the core layer names it is compatible with.
WARNING: Host distribution "ubuntu-18.04" has not been validated with
this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected
failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.
Parsing recipes: 100%
|########################################################################################################################################################|
Time: 0:00:21
Parsing of 1553 .bb files complete (0 cached, 1553 parsed). 2188
targets, 73 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
ERROR: No recipes available for:
/home/peniwize/yocto/poky/meta-nvidia/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa_17.0.2.bbappend
/home/peniwize/yocto/poky/meta-nvidia/recipes-graphics/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.19.1.bbappend

Q: 2) Which NVIDIA and AMD devices you need to support? Specifically
which drivers do you want installed?

A: I’m planning to use an NVIDIA 1050 ti, if I can get the NVIDIA
drivers working with Yocto.  The latest driver installer can be
downloaded from:
https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/410.73/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.73.run,
which I found from https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/139110, which
I found from https://www.geforce.com/drivers.

I’m not certain about which AMD device I would use.  I’m trying to find
out which devices are supported by Yocto to see if I can find a hardware
provider for any of them.  I currently have one hardware provider that
offers these AMD devices:

AMD Embedded Radeon™ GFX-E9175
AMD Radeon™ RX 560 GFX-AR560F16-5A
AMD Radeon™ Pro WX 5100 GFX-5100 Radeon Pro
AMD Radeon™ HD7750 GPU
AMD Radeon™ E6760 Embedded GPU
AMD Radeon™ E6760 Embedded GPU
AMD Radeon™ E6760 Embedded GPU

A quick google search for drivers led me to:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-560.
It looks like I can download rpm’s or deb’s so perhaps I can extract the
required drivers directly from those packages and use them verbatim.
I’ve never used a Radeon so I don’t know it it requires kernel modules
or if there is any compilation involved with installing its drivers like
there is with NVIDIA drivers.

Thanks for the help!

- Matt