[yocto] NVIDIA or AMD accelerated graphics on x86 or x86-64 machine architecture

Matt Ervin matt.office at impsoftware.org
Fri Oct 26 13:00:48 PDT 2018

I’m creating a poky (sumo branch) based OS image for x86_64 PC hardware.
It’s an embedded device that is essentially a desktop PC in a box with
additional features. My device requires accelerated graphics (either
NVIDIA or AMD, not Intel) and I’m having difficulty identifying which
layer and recipe to use for either device. Are there any recipes that
encapsulate the NVIDIA Linux desktop binary drivers for x86? If not then
are there any consultants willing to sell me some time to help me create
one, or to create one for me? I did some google searching and found a
layer from OakLabs, but it doesn’t work (at least not with the sumo
branch). The README file in the recipe also states that it’s likely to
break the build, and it did produce errors for me. I’m not familiar with
AMD on Linux so I don’t know if the xf86-video-ati recipe in the meta-oe
layer provides accelerated desktop drivers or, if it does, which AMD
devices it supports. I’m obviously very new to Yocto so any guidance is
greatly appreciated.

- Matt